Polkadot is a blockchain protocol that facilitates cross-chain communication and interoperability by connecting multi blockchains into a unified network. Apart from storing DOT on the exchanges Binance, Huobi, etc, and for sure there is still a separate wallet to store DOT.
You can store DOT in your personal wallet, at the moment, there are mobile wallets like PolkaWallet and Trust Wallet.
This article will show you how to store DOT with the Chrome extension app, developed by the Polkadot team.
Note: Currently, it can be difficult to manipulate because the UI has not been developed by Polkadot. However, shortly, the UI of the wallet interface will be updated.
Step 1: Download the extension app of the polka extension wallet https://polkadot.js.org/extension. Select “Add to Chrome”
- Step 2: After adding it to Chrome, we start creating an account or polkadot wallet on the extension. Select “Understood, let me continue”
- Step 3: The next step will be adding an account, select the "+" sign.
Mindful that you need to save 12 mnemonic characters carefully since this will be the phrase needed to restore your wallet.
After saving 12 characters, tick the box "I have saved my mnemonic seed safety" and select "Next step".
- Step 4: Set a name and password for the newly-created account.
It should be noted that the password will be used to verify each transaction, you need to remember well your Password
Then select “Add the account with the generated seed”.
So that is how we completed the steps of creating a polkadot wallet on the extension.
Currently, Polkadot Extension only has the function of creating wallets, not having the function of displaying Balance or sending transactions yet. To perform Sending, Receiving, or viewing Balance or Staking commands, you need to go to Polkadot.js Homepage to connect the Extension wallet.
- To view “Balance”, users need to go to Polkadot.js.org homepage, select “Account” in the “Account” tab.
- To send to other wallets, follow the instructions in the article here.
- To Staking, follow the instructions in the article here.